Thursday, January 3, 2013

January 3

SO I bought what I thought was a box of oil pastels.  I wasn't until I actually had my hand on them that I realized that they were not.  What I had was chalk pastels.  I didn't even know what chalk pastels were.
This is probably the best tree I have ever drawn.  It was a little difficult with the chalk, but I'm overall happy with the end result.

I was starting to feel guilty for spending so much time watching tutorials on the various mediums I've been playing with.  I somehow had it in my mind that I shouldn't need tutorials.  I have been wrestling with the idea that in order to be truly creative an artist should know how to use the materials intuitively.  Whether or not this is the case, it is not so with me.  When I was in school, teachers just gave us art materials without ever explaining anything about them.  I guess that's what I'm doing now.    I'm using You Tube to help me understand the different properties and techniques to use with each.

I know I'm only three days in to the challenge, but so far I'm really enjoying it.  During the day I start to think about what I'm going to do that evening.  It distracts me at work a little.  I'm hopeful that this enthusiasm will last.


No comments:

Post a Comment