Friday, March 22, 2013

March 21


This is how I spent the majority of my day.  On the clock.  As a wrap up for some in-house professional development we were given a scratchboard and a couple tools and asked to represent what we had learned in the program.  It focused on inquiry and getting kids to use deeper thinking skills.  I chose to make a spiral staircase.  Of course I chose to make a spiral staircase.  We were given a smaller board to practice and experiment with, and I destroyed it.  I didn't understand how to make things "look right".  So as with all new mediums, I went to the interwebs and looked for tutorials.  Yes, I had to have someone explain that drawing with a scratchboard is like drawing in reverse.  When you draw, you put on the page what you want, where you want it.  With a scratchboard, you have remove what you don't want.  The project took me six house to complete all told.  It was more exhausting to use creative energy that long, than it is to chase my preschoolers for nine hours straight.  I'm really happy with how it came out.  I'll be really disappointed if I don't get to keep it.  I'd like to frame it.  I'm not sure I'll do scratchboarding again.  It was an interesting exploration, but this one really drained me.



Here it is in -progress with a lot more scratching still to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment