Saturday, June 1, 2013

May 31

I have always liked haiku's.  I'm not sure why.  I don't always understand them, but there's something about the limitation of 5,7,5 that appeals to me.  While riding the bus I saw an ad for Domu, a local apartment hunting business.  The ad was written in haiku format with one problem.  The writer wrote it in 5,7,6.  It really bothered me.  If you're going to pretend to be clever and write your ad in haiku format at least know what you're doing.  I sat there trying to rephrase the final line until it fit the proper format.  That lead to me sitting down and writing my own.  I'm not exactly sure what makes a good haiku.  Mine are probably simple and silly, but I love the challenge of finding the right number of syllables to convey the meaning in the restrictive pattern. Sitting there and figuring out how to word the sentiment with more syllables because you've only got four or less because you've gone to eight.  This is what I came up with.

1.  The NAEYC clock ticks ("nay-see" don't know what it is google it)
     Teachers worry, much to do
     Vacation come soon

2. The burning candle
    Consuming wick at both ends
    Too quickly burns out

3. Deep sweet peaceful sleep
   Too long have we been parted
    I long for my bed

No comments:

Post a Comment